Wednesday, May 12, 2010

collapse

Collapse occurs on both collective and individual levels. I am interested in the phenomena of breakdown—the collapse and consequential rebuilding of identity. The collapse of concepts propels individuals and societies alike into complete disorientation and breakdown. Humanity exists delicately, in the ever present possibility of collapse. The collective anxiety that thrives as a product of this instability can manifest in nearly all aspects of human life. It often motivates an intense need for control.

When we are consumed with the need to control we are no longer flexible. Unlike the branch that can bend and adapt to the various stresses of nature, we are prone to break. It is important to recognize that breaking is a common, even orderly, part of nature. I mean to say that breaking is a synchronized response to a pressure too powerful to allow another outcome. It follows the laws of physics. In this sense, the breakdown, as mystifying and devastating as it is, is a particular response to particular events and thus “happens for a reason.” Sometimes, it is the disguised means of our survival.

5 comments:

  1. Is this a Kari original? I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure is :)Thanks bestie! Last night I watched the video of us in bow ties...oh man...simply amazing. You need to get back here so we can create our youtube channel. The world is waiting... Also, thanks for being my first and only blog follower. You are the BEST! Much love sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww... I miss you, too bestie!!! I completely forgot about those bow tie videos. Know what video I have that I watch all the time? It was about 3 am and we were trying to cover that "commitment-cerimon-you" song. It's actually really great and sure to be a hit on our youtube channel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If God said,
    'Rumi, pay homage to everything that has helped you enter my arms'

    there would not be one experience of my life,
    not one thought, not one feeling,
    not any act, I
    would not
    bow
    to."

    When are you going to post more, lovely?? I miss reading your words. Already, I've quoted you in at least a dozen different correspondences. You're the best and I can't wait t see you again!

    ReplyDelete